In between the header fabrication I made a little patch panel for the front core support and some tension rod bracket re-inforcements. I had a little fun with a dimple die while I was at it. I made the panels out of 16ga steel so they would be strong since the front core ties the two frame/unibody rails together. When welding in the panel I decided to try a product I hadn't before. I got a weld through primer, I was a little reluctant to paint where I was about to weld, but that's how its advertised to work. I sprayed the back side of the panel and anywhere I thought I might have trouble spraying after it was welded together. My reluctance seemed to be correct, where ever the primer was my weld didn't want to penetrate until I had it all burnt away.
|Really happy with how the dimple die worked|
|This part goes in the bottom of the tension rod bracket as a gusset. I also made a cross bar like the Nismo power brace|
|I had to add a couple dimpled holes where they might be visible, when the car is together.|
|I tried out weld through primer, it was more of a burn it away with the mig, then weld process. I wasn't impressed.|